Mason, OH — Available at a Bible College bookstore near you, the Christian Restoration Association (CRA) has released a newly revised translation of Alexander Campbell’s New Testament, otherwise known as The Living Oracles. Members of the translation committee include recently retired Bible college professors from across the United States, seeking to leave a legacy in the form of an updated translation for hundreds of people.
Features of the Revised Living Oracles (RLO) tailor-made for Bible College students and professors include a fresh translation of the Koine Greek words mathētḗs and baptízō. Mathētḗs is translated as “independent Christian,” in place of the traditionally used “disciple,” to avoid any confusion that the Disciples of Christ could be considered Christians. Baptízō is translated as “immersion,” following the example of Alexander Campbell, with special studies at every occurrence of the word to debunk sprinkling and pouring.
Most importantly, the entire book of Acts is printed in a bolded red font. Traditionally, the words of Jesus are printed in red, but as the head of the project told us, “the Gospels are part of the old dispensation and aren’t very important.”
Each school in the independent Christian churches will be able to customize different study editions of the text. For example:
- The Lincoln Bible Institute edition features notes by James Strauss. Striving for authenticity, they feature ramblings and incomplete sentences, and have completely filled in the margins of the pages.
- The Cincinnati Bible College edition features a special single book of the four gospels combined, The Life of Christ, as harmonized by R. C. Foster.
- The Kentucky Christian College edition comes in a special Large Print Sizemore and is divided into 13 handy sections.
- The Florida Christian College edition features references in the text by James E. Smith to a fabled book called the Old Testament.
- The Central Christian College of the Bible edition features all of Gareth Reese’s commentaries as study notes. To achieve portability, the volume will be printed on 5000 pages in size 6 font.
Finally, each special edition comes with a sleek double-sided poster: Side 1 is a blueprint for how to construct the church, printed in official school colors. Side 2 is a timeline of the Restoration Movement coming out of “the wilderness” for the purpose of door-to-door evangelism.
By Alexander Foster McGarvey